Re: X probs after upgrade

On 22 Mar 2001 23:42:04 -0800, Wilhelm *Rafial* Fitzpatrick wrote:

> Well, by using startx to bring up the xserver and then switching back to
> the console I can manually bring up gnome-terminal and even start sawfish
> as my window manager.  I just think whatever startup stuff that is supposed
> to run is bombing.  Attempting to log in via gdm, selecting any session or
> the default session, just causes gdm to respawn the xserver and put up the
> login dialog again, which is different from the behavior I saw yesterday,
> but I don't know that I changed anything...

The thing GNOME runs on startup is "gnome-session". Try running that
from a terminal window (just run one terminal, no windowmanager) and see
if it prints any error messages? That might give some trace, as might
/var/log/gdm/\:0.log - but I think that logfile thing was mentioned
already?

If gnome-session just hangs you can always try stracing it (prints a LOT
of info about what it is doing but should show at least the point where
it stops.. -run "strace gnome-session" from the terminal)

 Anyway, I hope you find some info on what is failing.

Tuomas

Tuomas Kuosmanen - Art Director -
Ximian - tigert@ximian.com -
www.ximian.com