Re: Kernel compiled (I think), how to do next step ?

At 01-02-2001 (10:58 -0800), Andrew Sharp  wrote:

first thing you should do is get the powerpc kernel patch
package for 2.2.17 and apply it.  then start over
configuring and building the kernel.  yes, i know it takes
several hours on a 7200 ~:^)

Time is no problem. (Otherwise, I would have given up allready.)
But suppose I applied that patch (hmmm... hints welcome though), how
do I continue ?

Werner.

Werner Teeling wrote:

 Hi,

 I compiled a new kernel with ipmasquerading for my ppc 7200, to use
 it as a router. I came to the point described below, but have no idea
 how to do the next steps. The kernel-howto is PC biased, and I found
 no answer in my archive of this list.

 Platform : Mac ppc 7200
 Debian 2.2.17
 Bootloader (?) : bootx application

 I got linux-2.2.17.tar.gz, and unpacked.
        -> from the how-to: "Unpack the kernel source to
        /usr/src/ with a command:
        tar xvzf linux-2.2.x.tar.gz -C /usr/src".

 'make config' and [y/n]'d appropriate options.
        -> 'make menuconfig' gave an error.

 'make zImage' : ok. duration: 1h.45 mins.
    (bzImage gave : "No rule to make target 'bzImage")

 'make modules' : ok.

 'make modules_install' : ok.

 By this point, there should be a new kernel, right ?

 But how do I install it ? AFAIK, lilo is n/a on the ppc platform.
 Or will  'dpkg -i ../kernel-image[and the rest of the name]' do the
 trick ? (Geez, it can't be that simple..)

 Thanx in advance,

 Werner.