Re: Re: Environment variables, debian/rules and dpkg-buildpackage

> I think he ment that you can not know wether the setting comes from
> dpkg-buildpackage or the user. If it comes from dpkg-buildpackage then
> debian/rules should be free to override it as needed. If it comes from
> the user then that is another story. At least that is my take on it.

This is a great point.  It must be possible to craft a rules file that overrides
system or distribution wide defaults and which can be over-ridden by an individual
building the package.  That seems to require the ability for the code in a rules
file to distinguish between things in the environment because they're defaults and
things in the environment that are attempting to override defaults.

Bdale