Re: build-depends-indep and arch: all source packages

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 08:29:43PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > When build-depends were first created, people started adding
> > build-depends for arch-independent packages in multi-binary source
> > packages, resulting in waste of resources by autobuilders installing
> > packages they won't need to build the package.
>
> > Build-depends should contain build-dependencies that are common to
> > arch-independent and arch-dependent packages, as well as
> > build-dependencies that are needed for arch-dependent packages only.
>
> If a package is strictly arch-indep, then nobody is likely to benefit
> from the build-depends being split into the pieces needed to run
> binary-indep, and the peices needed to run clean. It's just useless
> makework for the maintainer.

Isn't "useless makework for the maintainer" the point of
lintian/linda? :P

The value is rather limited though... two cases I can think of, are
trying to build the arch-dep components (which should do nothing,
successfully) and adding an arch-dep component to the package later.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |