Re: Working on debian developer's reference and "best packaging practices"

On Fri, 3 May 2002, Anthony Towns wrote:

> This is rather non-sensical: all packages /are/ left to the whimsy of
> the dpkg developers. If you don't believe me, I'm sure Wichert or Adam
> will be happy to introduce some random bugs in dpkg 1.10.x to demonstrate.

Just say the word, and we'd be happy to comply.  :)

> If the dpkg authors would like to hand off some of their design decisions
> to -policy on a generalised basis, I'm sure they'd say so. It seems a bit,
> well, wrong-headed for -policy to be trying to take control of dpkg though.

We(Wichert and I) implement features that users want, when we have time.  We
implement those that are interesting to us when we have free time.  I don't
think either one of us would feel comfortable being led by another group.

> >  since potentially large numbers of
> >  packages would be impacted by such changes.
>
> The dpkg maintainers are well aware of the likely impact of their changes,
> and are quite able to ask for advice when it's needed.

I've gotten much better in recent months on this(re last summer).