Re: The Serious severity

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 04:12:09PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	No, the same functionality is _NOT_ served by tags. Like it or
>  not, our bug listing are done by severity,

Strange; this point wasn't relevant when I was the one making it.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2002/debian-ctte-200204/msg00019.html

> and shoving policy violation into a tag degrades the importance of not
> violating policy.

That is a completely subjective opinion.  It is more likely that a tag
just for egregious policy violations highlights them even more than
"serious" severity does, for while there would be a one-to-one correspondence
between the tag and this meaning, there is no such correspondence
between the serious severity and egregious Policy violations at present.
Or perhaps you're forgetting the other half of "serious": "or, in the
package maintainer's opinion, makes the package unsuitable for
release."...

>  Branden> Talk about leaping to conclusions.  I was simply waiting to
>  Branden> come forward with talk of a "consensus" between Anothony and
>  Branden> myself until he had signed off on it, so that I could be
>  Branden> sure I wasn't misrepresenting his position.
>
> 	Yup. yet another fait accompli. We discussed this, and we have
>  a conclusion, your input not required.

Complete non sequitur, made interesting by the fact that it seems to
alarm you that Anthony and I might agree on something.  What is
inherently threatening about that possibility?  Furthermore, who said
that Anthony's and my possible agreement on an issue would be
determinative for the entire project?

You appear to be letting paranoid fears -- grounded on what, I do not
know -- cloud your perception.

> 	Open and transparent decision making at its best.

Woe betide two developers should they have a coversation about something
Manoj Srivastava is interested in without letting him "moderate" it.

> 	Gotcha. Your humor detector is on the blink.

Do me a favor and don't make pretensions to humor in the same message
where you accuse a person of dishonesty and hypocrisy.  These are
serious charges and if you want to play Rush Limbaugh or James Carvilla,
I'm sure you know where the proper forums for such behavior are.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     There's nothing an agnostic can't
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     do if he doesn't know whether he