Re: The Serious severity

>>"Branden" == Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

 Branden> On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 03:10:34PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 >> Strawman.

 Branden> ?  I don't see how.

 >> The rationale I presented argues for creating a severity to use for
 >> violations of policy.  The point was to allow for violations of must
 >> directives to be flagged as problems in themselves, potentially
 >> release critical, thereby acknowledging the importance of Debian
 >> policy for packages (IMHO policy is the major difference between the
 >> solidity of a Debian machine vs other distributions).

 Branden> The same function can be served by a tag, as the IRC discussion
 Branden> illustrates.

	No, the same functionality is _NOT_ served by tags. Like it or
 not, our bug listing are done by severity, and shoving policy
 violation into a tag degrades the importance of not violating
 policy.

 Branden> Talk about leaping to conclusions.  I was simply waiting to
 Branden> come forward with talk of a "consensus" between Anothony and
 Branden> myself until he had signed off on it, so that I could be
 Branden> sure I wasn't misrepresenting his position.

	Yup. yet another fait accompli. We discussed this, and we have
 a conclusion, your input not required.

	Open and transparent decision making at its best.

 Branden> And, for the sake of openness and transparency:

 Branden> 03:38PM|* Manoj goes off to bait Overfiend on the policy
 Branden> list 03:39PM|<Manoj> serves him right for discussing serious
 Branden> severity minutes after I signed off to go to bed

 Branden> I don't see how that attitude helps anyone.  Surely people
 Branden> do not need your permission to discuss the utility of the
 Branden> "serious" severity?

	Gotcha. Your humor detector is on the blink.

	manoj
--
 All newspaper editorial writers ever do is come down from the hills
 after the battle is over and shoot the wounded.