Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 06:21:50PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Package: debian-policy
>
> RMS just asked me if it was true that all our packages don't include
> the GPL, just a reference to it, since that is a violation of the
> GPL itself. In his words:
>
> rms> I'm told that (some or all) Debian packages for GPL-covered programs
> rms> don't contain a copy of the GPL--just a reference.  See an example
> rms> below.
> rms>
> rms> Is that accurate?  If so, it has to be fixed.  The GPL says that a
> rms> copy of the GPL must come with the package.  When you distribute a
> rms> whole system, once copy of the GPL in it is ok in principle; but when
> rms> a single package is distributed, it has to *come with* a copy
> rms> of the GPL.
>
> Reading the GPL section 3 says that for binaries the rules in sections 1
> and 2 also apply, and 1 states that a copy of the GPL has to be
> included..

1. "You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's
source code as you receive it ..."

Applies to *source code* only. We distribute orginial tarballs
which include the licence text. We are okay here.

2. "You may modify your copy or copies of the Program ... provided that:

	a. ... modified files to carry prominent notices ...

	b. ... licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
	parties under the terms of this License.

	c. [ interactive display of copyright notice ]

3. [ distribution obligations for binaries ]

	a. [ accompany with source ]

	b. [ written offer of source ]

	c. [ provide corresponding info. received from your supplier ]

[ major OS piece exception clause ]

"If distribution of executable or object code is made by offering
access to copy from a designated place, then offering equivalent
access to copy the source code from the same place counts as
distribution of the source code, even though third parties are not
compelled to copy the source along with the object code."

No I don't believe any part of the GNU GPL compels us to provide a
complete comply of the GNU GPL with binaries.

Anand

--
Linux.Conf.Au			--		http://linux.conf.au/
17th - 20th January, 		--		Alan Cox, David Miller,