Re: PROPOSAL: Extrafiles (was Re: Conffiles...)

Anthony Towns writes ("PROPOSAL: Extrafiles (was Re: Conffiles...)"):
> On Tue, Apr 07, 1998 at 12:47:53PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > 	Instead, we should introduce a file called extra files to list
> >  files that the package may generate in maintainer scripts or in
> >  normal operations which are not listed in pkg.list. We may exclude
> >  files under /var/run and /var/log entirely.
>
> As it turns out, this is a much more flexible solution for my purposes
> anyway, so I've spent a little time over the past couple of days
> trying to find a nice way of doing it.

Anthony's proposal is by and large the Right Answer, IMO.

However, I disagree with the proposed syntax for the extrafiles
control area file.  I think the file should contain plain glob
patterns a la fnmatch(3) (with * matching /).  The patterns should all
start with /.

I agree with the people who said later on in the discussion that if
several packages own a file they should all declare it.

Should dpkg --purge automatically remove such files, as it does for
conffiles ?  I think not.

Ian.