Re: Conffiles and Configuration files (again)

Hi,
>>"Anthony" == Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:

Anthony> [1 <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>] On Mon, Apr 06,
Anthony> 1998 at 05:14:56PM +0200, Santiago Vila Doncel wrote:

>> On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Anthony Towns wrote: What I'd like to propose,
>> therefore, is extending the "conffile" label to cover all
>> configuration files. Why do you want to do that?

Anthony> So I can get a list of what files in /etc are meant to be
Anthony> there, and what aren't.

	Then please do not use conffiles for that. conffiles has a wel
 defined semantics at the moment, and using them in  this fashion is
 conffile abuse ;-)

	Instead, we should introduce a file called extra files to list
 files that the package may generate in maintainer scripts or in
 normal operations which are not listed in pkg.list. We may exclude
 files under /var/run and /var/log entirely.

	I do think that expanding the conffiles concept for this is a
 really bad idea. It dilutes the power of the conffile concept, and
 indeed would be better served by a extrafile directive.

	dpkg and friends would not need to be modified to handle
 extrafiles anyway.

	BTW, this needs be thought out in detail; and I have not yet
 had my fix of caffiene,  so I am not going to atttempt to define it
 further.

	manoj
--
 "I was charged on minestrone, and invincible." Vicki Brown, about AI
 programming.