need input: essential packages and pre-depends

Recall, that there was a discussion on this topic between Feb 9 and Feb
18, with subject line "awk: essential virtual package?"

We discussed the suggestion that all essential packages have to use
Pre-Depends instead of Depends.

I remember that a lot of people agreed on this, but I also remember some
other opinions. (James: I've read your mails on this topic again but now
I'm unsure whether you disagreed with the suggestion itself, or just with
the procedure of making policy through bug reports. Please clarify this
again--I'd appreciate your input on this!)

We should resolve this topic soon, since if we agree that all essentials
should be changed with this respect, then we have to be quick! In this
situation, I'd implement a Lintian check for this ASAP and file a few more
`important' bug reports to get sure this is fixed before hamm is released.

Any (quick) comments are appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/