Policy Suggestion - User Configuration Files

A while back, on one of my other lists, there was a discussion about
user configuration files for the program and where to put them.  That
led to how frustrated many users were with the dot files just littering
their home directory.  One suggestion that came out of it that I liked
was to put all the user configuration files under a sub directory such
as ~/.etc.  This way the user's home directory is left uncluttered and
the structure more or less reflects that of the system-wide
configuration files.

So, what do you folks think?  Would it be worth while to have a Debian
policy regarding the placement of user configuration files in a
configuration sub directory of the user's home dir?

--
Jamin W. Collins