[If you're not interested in the details, please at least read the two
sections in numbered list format and comment]
Please allow me to first describe what happened.
1. The current version of KinoSearch (libkinosearch-perl) in Debian is
the latest non-development version, 0.165.
2. Version 0.165 upstream has been forked into a module called
KinoSearch1 1.00 (the stable branch)
3. The latest upstream version of KinoSearch is 0.30_10, which has not
yet been a problem for us, because it is a development version
4. KinoSearch 0.30 (the unstable/bleeding edge branch) is incompatible
with current software that uses KinoSearch
Now, along with the fork, the module namespace has been changed as
well. So software currently depending on KinoSearch will need to
depend on KinoSearch1, or we'll get some massive breakages.
Essentially, software needs to be patched to "use KinoSearch1" instead
of "use KinoSearch" -- however, there are no reverse dependencies of
the package yet. The only Debian package that needs it is the
Discussing the issue on #debian-perl, Ansgar replied:
08:19:35 < ansgar> jawnsy: If it is not compatible, there is no need
for a dummy package.
08:20:15 < ansgar> jawnsy: Actually having one would break more
things: If foo depends on libkinosearch-perl and the latter is
replaced by a dummy package, it wouldn't work anyway.
08:20:26 < ansgar> jawnsy: (as the namespace changed)
So, the current plan is this:
1. Upload a new (and completely separate) libkinosearch1-perl
2. Once the package is accepted, re-upload libkinosearch-perl (as-is,
with version 0.165) and notify users via NEWS that the package is to
be replaced by libkinosearch1-perl
3. Wait some appropriate_time_interval (please discuss)
4. Request removal of libkinosearch-perl
5. At some later point, consider replacing libkinosearch-perl with the
newest upstream branch (the unstable/development branch), or maybe
releasing that as libkinosearch3-perl to avoid confusion (though
upstream uses the KinoSearch namespace for this)...
[Cc: Dominic Hargreaves, old maintainer of libkinosearch-perl]