unofficial repository of Perl 5.12.0 related binNMUs

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 10:24:53PM +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 08:19:35AM +0300, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
>
> > While not a piece of cake, getting 5.12 iin squeeze doesn't look
> > impossible. How can we help?
>
> 5.12.0-1 is now in experimental (and built for more than one
> architecture), so I think it's OK to start filing bugs about any breakage.

To make testing easier, I've now set up an online repository of unofficial
binNMUs built against the 5.12.0-1 ABI on amd64 and i386. These have
been built from unmodified sources in Debian unstable.

(The point is to upgrade the perlapi-5.10.1 and libperl5.10 dependencies
 to perlapi-5.12.0 and libperl5.12 so that the packages become installable
 with perl 5.12.0.)

deb http://people.debian.org/~ntyni/perl/5.12.0 perl-5.12 main
deb-src http://people.debian.org/~ntyni/perl/5.12.0 perl-5.12 main

The repository is signed with the attached key, also available at

 http://people.debian.org/~ntyni/perl/5.12.0-setup.txt

With this, upgrading to 5.12.0 should be as easy as 'apt-get dist-upgrade'
or your favorite variant of it.

Please note that

- this is obviously unofficial and experimental etc., so don't trust it
  with anything important. No warranty.

- while downgrading back to 5.10.1 packages may work, it's generally
  unsupported. Using a separate chroot or virtual machine is recommended.

- the i386 packages were built in a kvm virtual machine, but I don't
  expect that matters

- I don't have a real buildd running so the packages are updated when I
  get round to it. Let me know if something is out of date and you need it.

> I'm still experimenting with the use64bitint and uselongdouble settings,
> so no promises about a stable ABI yet.

This still applies, not sure if these settings are here to stay. I hope
we can implement a clean upgrade path if the settings need to be changed
(see #579457), but that's still unfinished work.

Hoping this is useful to someone,
--
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org
cat >> /etc/apt/sources.list <<EOF