Re: Perl 5.12

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 05:20:58PM +0200, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:

> Perl interpreter team, as many other teams, suffer from the lack of people/time.
> Currently there are literally 1.2 maintainers in the team (Niko Tyni as 1 and
> /me as 0.2).
>
> AFAIK, there is no work in progress to package Perl 5.12 yet. Niko, maybe, has
> his own thoughts about Perl 5.12, currently he's busy, so please wait for
> this answer in this thread.

I'm busy in RL indeed (not sure if I should really count as 1 :), and
I haven't looked at packaging the 5.11 series at all yet.

I don't expect it to be too much work to get a viable first experimental
package together by merging in our current 5.10.1 deviations, but I've
only merged one upstream release so far (Brendan prepared 5.10.0 back
in 2007) so I could be wrong.

The squeeze freeze is also just around the corner AFAIK so I don't think
there's much chance of 5.12 making it in. If somebody wants to step up
and push for it, they should definitely talk to the release team first.

Help with perl maintenance would naturally be very welcome. Eugene has
helped out a lot, and we'd love to have more active comaintainers.
--
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org