Padre, CC-SA-2.5 and Debian [was: Adding Padre to Debian]

-=| Gabor Szabo, Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 03:32:30PM +0200 |=-
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Damyan Ivanov <dmn@debian.org> wrote:
> > Another thing left to do is sync debian/copyright with the new
> > release. There are more files added, even some Tango icons with some
> > CC license. Any ...uhm... takers? :)
>
> We will deal with the copyright again soon.

(/me hates legal stiff)

From what I see, the tango icons are taken from the Tango project.
From the tarball I downloaded from tango.freedesktop.org, the license
is CC-SA-2.5.

One problem with it is that it is not compatible with GPL (AIUI,
because it poses additional restrictions).

Another -- that CC-SA requires that derivative works include the full
license text as well as the list of authors. This is something Padre
does not.

More[1], it fails the Debian Free Software Guidelines[2], therefore
cannot be part of Debian. (There is Debian package named
tango-icon-themes in non-free).

 [1] http://evan.prodromou.name/Debian_Creative_Commons_Workgroup_report
 [2] http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

So, as I see it:
 * Padre is not distributable, as GPL and CC-SA-2.5 conflict[3];
 * Padre is breaking CC-SA-2.5 by not distributing the full license
   text and authors list;
 * Debian cannot ship Padre with CC-SA-2.5-licensed material in it.

    [3] I am not sure how CC-SA-2.5 interoperates with Artistic
    license

Is chosing another icon set an option?