libpar-packer-perl and /usr/bin/par

Hi folks,

as seen in #450915, there's a conflict between the par and
libpar-packer-perl packages for /usr/bin/par.

The par package clearly has a better claim to the name, so we should
name the script in libpar-packer-perl something different. Upstream
uses 'par.pl', but policy 10.4 says that we should leave the .pl out.

Historically, the script used to be in libpar-perl and called 'par.pl',
ignoring the policy. The name only got changed to 'par' in Debian
recently, when the libpar-packer-perl was split from libpar-perl.

Any suggestions on a better name? Maybe 'par-packer' (although the beast
seems to do quite a bit more according to the manpage) ? Or should we
just stay with 'par.pl' since that's what we have in Etch?

I have prepared libpar-packer-perl/0.976-5 in the pkg-perl SVN repository,
with the script renamed to 'par.pl' for now, to solve #450915 in the
least invasive way. Would some DD please consider uploading this? It's
much better than the current situation in any case.

Niko Tyni   ntyni@iki.fi