Reworking on our organization - Look at the Ruby neighbours!

Hi all,

I've been thinking about this for some time, but have been unable to
_act_ on it. I recently joined the pkg-ruby-extras Alioth team [1],
which does +- the same we do for Perl, but (duh) for Ruby. I have
noticed quite a few things I want to copy to our work process, as they
seem to be just the right way to work. I've left this mail unwritten
until I got familiar with their ways, but it might be too much, and I
want to get this out as soon as possible. Of course, all the changes
I'm proposing will have to wait until Etch is released.

1. There is a special package called ruby-pkg-tools, which includes
   metainformation and some handy scripts for building the rest of the
   group's packages. I'll talk about some of its files shortly.

2. ruby-pkg-tools includes a list of the group members [2],
   /usr/share/ruby-pkg-tools/pkg-ruby-extras.team - Why? Because,
   instead of having the mess we currently have, where each of us adds
   his email to the Uploaders: field of each package's debian/control,
   debian/control is built with the name of each of the maintainers.

3. CDBS classes [3]. I'm still uncertain about this one, but all in
   all, it makes sense. Most of our makefiles are just the same over
   and over. When we have done changes to our build process
   (i.e. replacing the -$(MAKE) distlean with the conditional
   variant), it has been quite an invasive and error-prone
   approach. Too many ways of doing very similar things (yes, like the
   Perl motto - but still, I don't see much benefit with the current
   situation). Of course, you are all familiar with my error-fixing
   extra commits (BTW, just not to break tradition, it took me _six_
   commits to get my name added to pkg-ruby-extras.team ;-) ). I do
   not like CDBS too much, but it is greatly because I have not used
   it much, and it's harder to debug something you are not familiar
   with. Probably we should build a couple of CDBS classes for all of
   our packages, and do away with our individual makefiles.

4. A simple, automatic way to get the upstream sources [4]. You don't
   have to manually fiddle with creating build-area, putting and
   renaming the orig.tar.gz there. It's automatable. And, hey - If
   debian/watch has the information, if uscan can check if there are
   new versions, why must we do it manually? Well, there must be a
   reason not to rely on debian/watch for everything - They have a
   YAML file in their SVN describing where are the sources for each
   package.

What do you say? I think the four points are important. Of course,
it's too invasive for before Etch, but I do hope to start working on
this as soon as the release hits the shelves.

Greetings,

[1] http://pkg-ruby-extras.alioth.debian.org/

[2] http://pkg-ruby-extras.alioth.debian.org/ruby-pkg-tools/uploaders.html

[3] http://pkg-ruby-extras.alioth.debian.org/ruby-pkg-tools/cdbs.html