Re: Java and OpenOffice.org

Hi,

Bruce Byfield wrote:
> If possible, I'd like to get a quote about how Debian plans to respond.
> By putting together a Java-free package? By using a free implementation

This is what we currently do for 1.1.x.

> of Java? By some other means? Since Debian is a distribution that is

That's what we want to do in future when it is possible; gcj-4.0
(in experimental currently) can build many parts of OpenOffice.org after some
patches for gcj support were made. (No idea about interpreting with
gij, though)

However, that would mean we'll get a dependency on the experimental
libgcc1 so the package won't be installable (and not buildable anywayn since we need gcj-4.0) in plain unstable.

Not fine. Well... For a upload to experimental we probably could try but
it's really suboptimal.

> And if anyone on the Debian OpenOffice Team would care to make other
> comments, I'd appreciate hearing them, by all means.

This is my comment. Probably not suitable for a official quote but the
comment of one of the two maintainers.

Grüße/Regards,

René
--
 .''`.  René Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73