Re: OpenOffice shared installation over NFS problems

Hi, sorry I've got a large backlog of mail at the moment.  I guess your
classes started already :(

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 12:26:00AM +0300, Vaidrius Petrauskas wrote:
> We here at university have 9 classes of Debian - 6-8 computers in each.
> They all use one shared installation (mixed sid/testing/stable) over
> NFS. Students authenticate using LDAP/Kerneros and their home
> directories are mounted over OpenAFS. OpenOffice is planned to be used
> for some subjects, but I ran into problems deploying it. New year begins
> at 1st September, so I must be quick.
>
> When OpenOffice 1.0.3-2 is started locally (NFS server), everything goes
> smoothly. But when students try to run ooo from their computers in
> classes, installation doesnt succeed: error window pops up stating that
> types.rdb and services.rdb are missing or corrupted, and setup is
> aborted. When trying OO.o 1.0.99+1.1rc-1, local installation doesnt even
> get this far:
>   running openoffice.org setup...
>   setup failed.. abort
> I've read instaructions at debian readme, but they dont seem to apply -
> fonts are loaded sucessfully, and the same with LANG=C (we use
> LANG=lt_LT.ISO8859-13). Played around with it and found that setup exits
> with code 30.
> What could be wrong? I can tell more details but i'm not sure which ones.

There were a lot of NFS problems what were fixed for 1.1.  Maybe you could
test if the problem still occurs on 1.1?  If not, please file a bugreport so
the problem doesn't get forgotten.

This is the first report I have seen about this type of installation, so as
you say there is nothing relevant in the readme.

You might like to look in OOo IssueZilla for issues with the word NFS in
their summary.