Re: can't reinstall OpenOffice

Hi Scott,

Scott S. Jones D.C. wrote:
> When I run apt-get install openoffice.org I get the following error
> message:
>
> scott:/home/scott# apt-get install openoffice.org
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.
>
> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> that package should be filed.
>
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>  openoffice.org: Depends: openoffice.org-bin (> 1.0.1-pre1.0.2) but it
> is not going to be installed
> E: Sorry, broken packages
>
> The same result happens if I add '-bin' to the end. If I run apt-get -f

The problem is that you are woody (at least I suppose so) and you are
using the woody backport. This isn't a problem in itself, it is good
:)

But the problem is that you seems to have another version of
libfreetype6 installed than openoffice.org-bin wants. Because of
incompatibilities, the openoffice.org backport for woody wants woody's
package.

You have two possibilities to get a working, full and right installed
OOo on woody:

a) Downgrade libfreetype6 to woody's version with
   apt-get install libfreetype6=2.0.9-1. This may remove some stuff
   from your installtion, check if you want that...

b) Exchange "woody" though "testing" in _and only in_ the line in
   /etc/apt/sources.list pointing to the mirror you are using for
   OpenOffice.org.
   The fonts will look a little bit uglier because the internal
   libfreetype is used, but at least it works and is installable :)

If you use testing, you have to do b)

Regards,

Rene
--
 .''`.  Rene Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73