Thesaurus & other problems

Hello

Apologies in advance if my questions are inappropriate for this type of mailing list but I noticed in the archives that the occasional user question seems to get answered.

I have just installed OpenOffice 1.1 (via apt/aptitude) on to a Dell Inspiron 2650 P4 laptop running Debian 'unstable' on a 2.4.21 Kernel using a KDE 3.1.3. desktop.

In using OpenOffice I have encounter a few problem as follows:

1/ The spell checker in spite of installing MySpell as recommended did not work until I changed the 'User-defined dictionaries' path in options dialogue box to:

/usr/share/myspell/dicts/

The reason I am saying this is because my actions may have affected my 2nd problem.

2/ I have been totally unable to get the thesaurus working since I installed the program. This is in spite of ticking the  OpenOffice.org Thesaurus tick box in the  options dialogue box.

3/ New document 'File' menu & tool-bar icon option does not work when I try and select these options nothing appears (I assume that I would get a selection of options like spreadsheet, presentation etc...) and nothing happens. I have ooops-kde installed but I would prefer to select new document types from the File menu.

4/ OpenOffice crashes when using help. I have been using OO a lot for word processing & spreadsheet work and it seems very stable. But when I use the help system OO regularly crashes with the following error message:

An unrecoverable error has occurred. All modified files have been saved & can probably be recovered at program restart.

I would be grateful for any pointers that would help to sort out these problems.

Thanks in advance.

James

---
James Aitken

"Don't worry, everything's getting nicely out of control" Douglas Adams

--
Personalised email by http://another.com

---