Re: Building using the new source package layout [ was Re: Debian / Gnome OO.o ]

Le dim 17/08/2003 à 20:13, Chris Halls a écrit :
> Hi Jérôme,
>
> Sorry to take a while to respond to you mail.  When you wrote your mail I
> wasn't really sure how we would do the integration, and I wanted to have a
> look at it before I could answer your mail.
Sorry for my late answer to this one.

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 01:27:03PM +0200, Jérôme Warnier wrote:
> > Le lun 11/08/2003 à 13:02, Chris Halls a écrit :
> > > Michael talked to me last week about his idea to use the same common
> > > patchset and packaging scripts.  His suggestion is for us to use the same
> > > patch directory, with a mechanism to select which of the packages are
> > > actually applied.
> > Great!
> > When do we start using it? :-)
>
> Now :)
Great.

> I have dropped the use of dbs from our packages and restructured the
> .orig.tar.gz tarball so that it is the same layout as upstream, instead of
> the tarball-within-a-tarball that we had before.  The debian directory stays
> as before, except that debian/patches is no longer used.  The Ximian
> ooo-build tree is placed at the same level as the debian directory.
>
> This is how to get the new layout from CVS:
>
> download the tarball and unpack it:
>   http://people.debian.org/~halls/openoffice/1.1rc3/openoffice.org_1.0.99+1.1rc3.orig.tar.gz
>     (this tarball is zipped using gzip --rsyncable, so you can use rsync to
>     reduce the download time for future tarballs :)
That's a really good idea, the rsync part. OOo is really huge.
Could you detail how to do it exactly?

> check out oo-deb/debian from our CVS as usual.  You need the latest HEAD
> revision.  Have a look at debian/changelog:  I documented most of the
> changes in there already, although I haven't included all the new patches
> from Ximian yet.
>
> Then, you need the Ximian CVS tree.  I scripted a build rule to make it
> easier:
>
>   cd openoffice.org-1.0.99+1.1rc3
>   debian/rules get-ooo-build
I already have a problem (I solved it on my side without trouble, but I
think I should let you know too): the cvs version on Woody doesn't
recognize the "-z #" option.

I updated this: http://glasnost.beeznest.org/articles/52

> The list of patches to apply is in ooo-build/OOO_1_1_RC3/apply.  You'll see
> I've already been through and added around half the patches.  I added
> comments for those patches I decided not to include yet.  I haven't looked
> at them all yet.
>
> > Could you tell me what I could do to begin to work immediately on the RC3 version?
>
> Follow the instructions and try to build.  If you want to look at the
> remaining patches and suggest which might be included, that would help,
> although I'd like to quickly read over the ones that we do include, to give
> me an idea of what the changes do.
I'll try that with the time I get. Hopefully last week will be a good
week for that.

> > I already checked/modified some of the patches, so I can already spare
> > you some work.
>
> Yes, thanks.  I think I've included them all now, right?
I'm going to check within the next few days.
When do you expect to upload rc3 to Sid?

[...]

--
Jérôme Warnier <jwarnier@beeznest.net>