Adding binary files to build

I'm building OpenOffice using the Debian 1.0.1-4 packages. I've added (huge)
patches containing Norwegian Bokmål translations to the debian/patches
directory, and this works great. However, I need to add some binary files as
well (help files, templates, etc.), which are not included in the upstream
1.0.1 tarball.

Do the build environment offer a clean way to add those binary files after
the main tarball is extracted, or do I have to hack the build scripts to make
it work?

Regards,
 Gaute Hvoslef Kvalnes