Re: ocamlrpcgen no longer recognises command line options

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 01:37:45PM +0100, David MENTRE wrote:
> The Ubuntu Gutsy package is version 2.2.7, which is apparently the same
> as the Etch backport[1].

Only the version number, not (necessarily) the package itself: Ubuntu
rebuilds Debian packages in its "universe" and applies its own patches.
For OCaml-related packages it can happens that the patches are
sub-optimal, as AFAIK there is no OCaml-specific team in Ubuntu with
OCaml-specific knowledge.  Apparently, this is the case for the problem
you are reporting, I've just checked ocamlnet 2.2.7 from etch backports
and it works properly (as it has not been stripped).

In case you want to forward a patch for this specific problem to the
Ubuntu side, here is the needed line in debian/rules:

  DEB_STRIP_EXCLUDE += usr/bin/ocamlrpcgen

(together with a similar line for usr/bin/netplex-admin, FWIF).

> Is this issue common to all Debian based distribution or specific to
> Ubuntu Gutsy? Where should I report the bug?

To the Ubuntu backtracker if it is specific to Ubuntu (as in this case),
to the Debian one otherwise.

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/