Re: [Caml-list] binary compatibility of 3.08.3
- To: Berke Durak <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Cc: email@example.com, Jacques Garrigue <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Subject: Re: [Caml-list] binary compatibility of 3.08.3
- From: Sven Luther <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:31:03 +0100
- Message-id: <20050116143103.GA28018@pegasos>
- Mail-followup-to: Berke Durak <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, Jacques Garrigue <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <20050116133308.GP4370@free.fr>
- References: <BAY14-F27224E5AB9D8312AE9F9A3AC8A0@phx.gbl> <99C2C114-6583-11D9-B72B-000D9345235C@inria.fr> <20050113184137.GA24040@fistandantilus.takhisis.org> <email@example.com> <20050114133632.GA4923@pegasos> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20050116132529.GA1467@pegasos> <20050116133308.GP4370@free.fr>
On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 02:33:09PM +0100, Berke Durak wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 02:25:29PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 10:01:00AM -0500, Yaron Minsky wrote:
> > > It's worth mentioning that the pain of such upgrades is considerably
> > > reduced by the use of a package manager like GODI. It's hardly
> > > perfect, but it makes such things much easier.
> > We already have a package manager, thank you all the same. The user won't see
> > a thing, but it is a hard thing for us debian package maintainers to rebuild
> > all packages that are dependent on ocaml on all 11 officially supported debian
> > architectures, and a bunch of unofficial ones, especially given the fact that
> > there are many dependencies, and there is at least one day lag in the
> > dependency chain building, and that some of our architectures are real slow to
> > build (m68k, mips/mipsel and s390 are the usual blockers, often arm and hppa
> > too). And so near to the sarge release, it is a real question if we should
> > forego the 3.08.3 changes or launch such a wide rebuild, which may miss the
> > freeze/release date anyway, or worse even, may make some important part of the
> > packages not being in the release at all. Luckily no ocaml package is part of
> > base/standard, and not affected by the base freeze.
> By the way, is m68k/s390/etc. stuff built on m68k/etc. ? Why not
> cross-compile on fast CPUs ?
As said, we have enough m68k autobuilder to do the work, so why go for more
complicated and error-prone setups. As said, during the last transition, it
was not really m68k which was the problem.