Debian Project News - May 9th, 2008

Debian Weekly News
http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2008/02/
Debian Weekly News - May 9th, 2008

Welcome to this year's 2nd issue of DPN, the newsletter for the Debian
community. We would like to thank everyone for his feedback on the last
issue of the Debian Project News! We didn't reckoned a tiny newsletter
would cause such an sensation - we where even mentioned in some print
magazines! So many, many thanks! We'll try our very best to come up and
exceed your expectations!

While visiting Stefano Zacchiroli the www 2008 conference[1] in china Sir
Tim Berners-Lee[2] offered Debian kudos[3] for its well thought-out
encapsulation/packaging of libraries. Paul Wise will close[4] his Debian
user[5] and Debian new contributor[6] surveys on June 1st so that
analysis of the results can begin. Please participate if you haven't done
so, yet.

  1. http://www2008.org/
  2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_berners-lee
  3. http://upsilon.cc/~zack/blog/posts/2008/04/unexpected_kudos_from_TBL/
  4. http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2008/05/msg00006.html
  5. http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2008/03/msg02475.html
  6. http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2008/03/msg00030.html

Debian and Googles Summer of Code
---------------------------------
The Debian Project announced[7] to participate again in Googles Summer of
Code Program. Twelve students will get the opportunity to work on
different projects during their summer vacation while Google will fund
them.

  7. http://lists.debian.org/debian-news/2008/msg00001.html

Development progress
--------------------
The development efforts to release the next stable Debian release
codenamed "Lenny" in September continue. While the transition to Python
2.5 as default python version is allready completed, the transition to
Perl 5.10 is still ongoing[8]. So the freeze, the phase when developers
will concentrate on fixing bugs instead of adding new features, will be
called soon.

Andreas Barth, release manager for Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 "Sarge" and
Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 "Etch" announced, that Marc Brockschmidt joined
the team of release managers, while he steps back as release wizard[9].

  8. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/04/msg00017.html
  9. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/05/msg00000.html

Debian Project Leader interviews
--------------------------------
In two recently published interviews of our the new elected Debian
Project Leader, Steve McIntyre presented a bit more about the Debian
Project. The interviews can be found on ZDNet[10], and ComputerWorld
UK[11].

 10. http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39406494,00.htm
 11. http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?RSS&entryid

debimg, a new software to replace debian-cd
debimg is software designed to replace debian-cd. It current feature
set is very limited, but building single disks for i386 and amd64 is
possible (netinst disks build in about 5 seconds. It still misses many
features like disk sets and multi-arch.

19 new Debian Developers this week: The Debian Project improves its New
Maintainer process
------------------
At Friday the 18th of April 2008, 19 new Debian Developers (DD)
accounts were created.

One of the bottlenecks is the Debian Accout Management (DAM), and Sam
Hocevar delegated some important tasks to more people, distributing
future workload. While the batch of new DD accounts were created, he
issued a Debian Project Leader (DPL) announcement just before
transferring position to the new elected DPL, Steve McIntyre.

Christoh Berg, who has recently been added to the DAM team[12]
thanked[13] Martin Michlmayr, who has been Application Manager for more
than 120 Applicants interested in joining the Debian Project as official
Debian Developer.

 12. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/04/msg00015.html
 13. http://lists.debian.org/debian-newmaint/2008/04/msg00064.html

Planets for Debian Contributors up again, ready for new feeds and languages
Holger Levsen[14] reported that after a severe hardware failure, now all
local planets[15] for Debian contributors are up again. Currently there
are only English[16], Italian[17] and German planets[18], but the guys at
Debian-community.org[19] are doing a great job and encourage new
contributors to submit their feeds or request new localized planets.

 14. http://layer-acht.org/blog/debian/#1-165
 15. http://wiki.debian-community.org/planets/
 16. http://wiki.debian-community.org/planets/en/
 17. http://wiki.debian-community.org/planets/it/
 18. http://wiki.debian-community.org/planets/de/
 19. http://debian-community.org

Debian Project will be at Swiss Linux Days 2008
>From Wednesday the 21st of May 2008 to Thursday the 22nd of May 2008,
Geneva, Switzerland, Debian Project will participate with a booth at
Swiss Linux Days 2008. Debian-Med will also be presented at a talk.
Please see our events page[20] for further details.

 20. http://www.debian.org/events/2008/0521-swiss-linuxdays

Debian Project will be at Linux Tag 2008
>From Wednesday the 28th of May 2008 to Saturday the 31st of May 2008,
Berlin, Germany, Debian Project will participate with a booth at Linux
Tag 2008. Please see our events page[21] for further details.

 21. http://www.debian.org/events/2008/0528-linuxtag

Other news
----------
Lior Kaplan reported[22], that he finished triage of oover 300 bugs
reported against the iceweasel / firefox packages. Of those 300 bugs only
70 are still valid for a version of firefox shipped in a Debian release.

 22. http://liorkaplan.wordpress.com/2008/05/02/firefox-triage-has-ended-300-bugs-processed/

Christian Perrier reported[23] progress in his campaign to fix
outstanding bugs relation to internationalization. Three languages
finished translating more than 90% of the Debconf translation (and two
might reach the 100% mark before the release of Lenny), while a fourth
one just crossed the 80% mark.

 23. http://www.perrier.eu.org/weblog/2008/04/23#l10n-nmu-lenny-2

Ana Guerrero summarized[24] the meetings different teams had during the
last year in the Region Extremadura in Spain. The regional goverment is a
heavy user of Debian and sponsored teams to meet in person and work
together. Beneath those teams where the Debian Edu team, the Quality
Assurance team, the VoIP team, the Zope team, the Qt/KDE team and the
i18n team.

 24. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/04/msg00010.html

Want to continue reading DPN? Please help us create this newsletter. We
still need more volunteer writers who watch the Debian community and
report about what is going on. Please see our "HOWTO contribute" page[25]
to find out how to help. We're looking forward to receiving your mail at
debian-publicity@lists.debian.org[26].

 25. http://wiki.debian.org/ProjectNews/HowToContribute
 26. mailto:debian-publicity@lists.debian.org

Andre Felipe Machado, Adrian von Bidder, Luca Bruno, Jeff Richards,
Julian Andres Klode, Martin F. Krafft and Alexander Schmehl contributed
to this issue of the Debian Project News.

PS: I'm sorry, that this issue of the Debian Project News was only
published on our webpage in time while the mail was delayed by a mistake
of mine.  I'm very sorry, and wil try to prevent that from happening
again.