AM report for Mathieu Malaterre

1. Identification & Account Data
- --------------------------------
   First name:      Mathieu
   Last name:       Malaterre
   Key fingerprint: 6933 67FF AECD 8EAA CD1F 063B 0171 E182 8AE0 9345
   Account:         malat
   Forward email:   mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com

   ID check passed, key signed by 3 existing developers:

   Output from keycheck.sh:
   $ ./keycheck.sh 8AE09345
   gpg: requesting key 8AE09345 from hkp server keys.gnupg.net
   pub   4096R/8AE09345 2010-09-17
         Key fingerprint = 6933 67FF AECD 8EAA CD1F  063B 0171 E182 8AE0 9345
   uid                  Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>
   sig!         D75F8533 2011-05-29  Josselin Mouette <joss@malsain.org>
   sig!         C09FD35A 2011-08-31  Andreas Tille <tille@debian.org>
   sig!         DD899610 2011-10-23  Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre@debian.org>
   sig!3        8AE09345 2010-09-17  Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>
   uid                  Mathieu Malaterre (sf.net) <malat@users.sourceforge.net>
   uid                  Mathieu Malaterre (ENS-Lyon) <mathieu.malaterre@ens-lyon.fr>
   sig!         D75F8533 2011-05-29  Josselin Mouette <joss@malsain.org>
   sig!         C09FD35A 2011-08-31  Andreas Tille <tille@debian.org>
   sig!         DD899610 2011-10-23  Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre@debian.org>
   sig!3        8AE09345 2010-09-17  Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>
   sub   4096R/088800C7 2010-09-17
   sig!         8AE09345 2010-09-17  Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com>

   7 signatures not checked due to missing keys
   Key is OpenPGP version 4 or greater.
   Key has 4096 bits.
   Valid "e" flag, no expiration.
   Valid "s" flag, no expiration.

2. Background
- -------------
   Applicant writes:

   My name is Mathieu Malaterre, I am 31 years old, I live in Lyon, France.
   Back in 1999 I started using Linux on a RedHat 6.0 (CDs came with a
   magazine). At that time I was doing my Engineering School in Mathematics
   and Modeling and I needed a FORTRAN compiler to work from home. Since
   our university was running on a UNIX Tru64 system, one of my teacher
   suggested that I downloaded a Linux distro to reproduce this work
   environment from home. After some trouble getting it to work (I had a
   winmodem at that time), I quickly realize that, this was a complete new
   experience with computers than before ! I really liked the fact that I
   could have access to the source code of anything I was using.
   Then around 2003 (I was still using RedHat 9.0 at that time), I discover
   finally debian. The debian installer was still very new, but it did work
   for me nicely. I discovered the power of apt-get and rolling
   distribution (I could have a stable system, with gcc-snapshot !), I
   never went back. Today I use debian on my desktop, my laptop (still some
   issues) and my MacMini G4. I really like being able to install
   scientific packages from the command line, on so many different
   architectures.

   During my final internship (for my master degree) I worked on a project
   using VTK an open source project at the Robarts Research Institute. Back
   in France, I started working on a medical application which also made
   use of VTK. Finally I was hired by the company (Kitware) behind VTK and
   I discover you could do business and still produce open source software.
   I was involved in ITK (an open source toolkit funded by the NIH),
   ParaView and CMake [1] and I really much enjoyed interacting with users
   reporting bugs (or better providing patch).
   I am currently the maintainer of GDCM [2] an implementation of DICOM
   (standard protocol for medical imaging and communication). DICOM is the
   standard used to stored your clinical data on disk. Even if DICOM is a
   standard, when I wrote GDCM I thought that a reference implementation
   would be required, otherwise only private company would implement this
   standard. I strongly believe that *your* patient data (MRI, Ultrasound,
   Xray...) should be freely accessible without relying on private company
   software. This was the reason why I started GDCM (I wanted to learn
   DICOM & C++ too!).

   When using debian I was reporting bugs. But I really started working on
   debian in 2009, when Aurélien Jarno signed my GPG key and I could start
   as DM within debian-med and debian-science (thanks to everyone in
   debian-med to get me started with the process). I am currently
   maintaining 22 packages as listed on my QA page:

   http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com

   Most packages have a direct link to DICOM (GDCM, DCMTK, dicomscope,
   dicom3tools, charls, aeskulap, pixelmed, jmdns, pvrg-jpeg). Those
   packages provides a DICOM implementation. I wanted to have them in
   debian to be able to compare outputs from each other. For instance
   dicom3tools only compiles with gcc 3.3, but with the proper patch, I can
   now install this package on any new debian machine I need to.
   There is another category which I have a strong interest in is: docbook
   (fop, serna-free, xslthl). I worked on the fop 1.0 transition to be able
   to produce cross-linked PDF files from a docbook documentation at my
   work. I interacted with both upstream and docbook package to get cross
   reference working in PDF.
   I also uploaded xsddiagram to be able to load XSD files. I also spent
   quite some time on packaging VXL and ParaView, I think those software
   should really be part of debian-science, since they are so useful for
   users. I really like the fact that now I can fix a bug in debian in a
   software I use, and this get propagated to other arch. Re-installing
   this software on another system become then easy, which is a real time
   saver for me and I can now focus on the scientific problem !

   What I would like to continue working on in the future will remain in
   any software relating to DICOM or docbook. I also have a small pet
   project I would like to find time to implement is improve current dpkg
   +cmake integration. I would like also to improve the paraview package,
   it is too monolithic now.
   I really like the umbrella organizations too (debian-med for example),
   since I am able to provide direct patch to the package with only DM
   access. Some packages are also very complex to maintain and having a
   whole team makes the process easier to handle.

   I am also quite excited that this year, GDCM has been accepted as Google
   Summer of Code 2011 project [3]. I am currently mentoring a student to
   implement Supplement 145 of DICOM, which will add support for gigapixel
   image (whole slide imaging in microscopy). The other student is being
   mentored by Antonin Descampe (the current OpenJPEG maintainer). OpenJPEG
   is an open source implementation of JPEG 2000. I have been working with
   Antonin since 2006 in integrating OpenJPEG in GDCM (it fixed a bug with
   lossless encoding found in Jasper another JPEG 2000 implementation).
   Anyway this second GSOC project will provide JPIP support in GDCM
   (protocol to request Region of Interest of a JP2 image). I am very proud
   that an open source implementation will actually (hopefully in ~August)
   provide a cutting edge implementation of DICOM to users.
   I will clearly continue working on open source software in the future,
   and I also think that providing pre-build binary nicely integrated in
   debian is also very important for regular user.

   [1] http://www.ohloh.net/accounts/malaterre
   [2] http://gdcm.sourceforge.net/
   [3] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2011/gdcm

3. Philosophy and Procedures
- -----------------------------
   Mathieu has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way.  Mathieu committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
- -------------------
   Mathieu has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.

   He is the (co-)maintainer of 35 packages in main incl. fop,
   paraview, gdcm and gccxml.  Some of his sponsors are Andreas Tille
   (advocate), George Danchev and Dominique Belhachemi.  Mathieu is
   also a DM, so he can (and do) upload most of them without sponsors.

   Most of his packages are in good shape.  A few of his packages suffers from
   embedded code copies of libraries, which he is working on getting rid of.
   See #638693 and #641542.

   Mathieu also answered my other questions regarding T&S without problems
   and provided patches for RC bugs.

5. Recommendation
   I recommend to accept Mathieu Malaterre as a Debian Developer.