AM report for Benjamin Drung <bdrung@ubuntu.com>

Hi,

1. Identification & Account Data
--------------------------------
   First name:      Benjamin
   Middle name:     n.a.
   Last name:       Drung
   Key fingerprint: A62D 2CFB D50B 9B5B F360  D54B 159E B5C4 EFC8 774C
   Account:         bdrung
   Forward email:   bdrung@ubuntu.com

   ID check passed, key signed by 2 existing developers:

   Output from keycheck.sh:
pub   4096R/EFC8774C 2009-08-14
      Key fingerprint = A62D 2CFB D50B 9B5B F360  D54B 159E B5C4 EFC8 774C
uid                  Benjamin Drung <benjamin.drung@gmail.com>
sig!3        73647CFF 2009-09-08  Nico Golde <nion@debian.org>
sig!         AA87AA77 2009-11-11  Soeren Sonnenburg <sonne@debian.org>
sig!3        EFC8774C 2009-08-14  Benjamin Drung <benjamin.drung@gmail.com>
uid                  Benjamin Drung <bdrung@ubuntu.com>
sig!3        73647CFF 2009-09-08  Nico Golde <nion@debian.org>
sig!         7D806442 2010-06-11  Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net>
uid                  Benjamin Drung <skipper@cs.tu-berlin.de>
sig!3        73647CFF 2009-09-08  Nico Golde <nion@debian.org>
sig!         AA87AA77 2009-11-11  Soeren Sonnenburg <sonne@debian.org>
sig!3        EFC8774C 2009-08-14  Benjamin Drung <benjamin.drung@gmail.com>
sub   4096R/DC338FA3 2009-08-14
sig!         EFC8774C 2009-08-14  Benjamin Drung <benjamin.drung@gmail.com>

Actually he has two keys, 0A1BC27E and EFC8774C . The former one is
create on 2008.02.17. and has only 1024 bits, which keycheck.sh states
as not acceptable if the applicant started after October 1st, 2010 (he
started before). Still, it's also signed by one DD, Nico Golde.

2. Background
-------------
   Applicant writes:

   [ personal side ]
   Some document about me: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BenjaminDrung
   My blog: http://overbenny.wordpress.com/

   I am a student, so Debian/Ubuntu in one of my hobbies. We do some
   research at university on Linux (the kernel). My primary desktop is
   the lastest stable release of Ubuntu with GNOME. One system has the
   Dust theme, the other has Shiki. I have Debian squeeze and sid in my
   kvm virtual machine. I intend to install Debian on my hard drive,
   too. I trade both distributions equally. Only deadlines shift my
   priority from to one distro. The normal working procedure (with
   package I maintain) is to bring the package into Debian sid and then
   to merge or sync them to Ubuntu. Only if I touch packages once, the
   other way around is the case: Uploading the package to Ubuntu and
   open a bug report for the Debian package.

   And about the divergence: I work hard to reduce the difference to
   zero. For example matplotlib had some differences, but now only one
   (with we can drop in the future, hopefully). I work on xpi.mk (in the
   mozilla-devscripts package) to hide the different package names for
   mozilla applications (Iceweasel/Firefox naming) to the extension
   packager. We have now more synced or merged extensions in Ubuntu.

   [ about his Debian / Ubuntu experience on 15th of Nov. 2009 ]
> Do you (co-)maintain any packages? Did you get any feedback on your
> packages from users, maybe in the form of bug reports or via other
> channels? Please give a short summary about the work you have done so
> far on the packages.

Yes, around 21 packages [1]. The biggest one is eclipse (version 3.5.1
will uploaded to unstable soon). You can find a short packaging history
on [2]. I become feedback via bug reports / emails / IRC. For example I
reduced the bug report count from audacity from sixty till seventy down
to 42.

> Are you a 'Debian Maintainer' as described on
> http://wiki.debian.org/Maintainers or do you plan to become a DM?

I am DM since two month (2009-09-12).

> Are you involved in any porting activity? Do you work on or provide
> Debian infrastructure, like build daemons, mirror servers, or other
> services for users or developers?

No.

> Are you working on the Debian webpages? Do you do translations of
> package descriptions, debconf templates, or other parts of Debian?

No.

> Have you written bug reports, or contributed input to existing
> reports? Did you write patches? Please list the packages with bug
> numbers and titles you made a non-trivial contribution to.

I have written some bug reports and written some patches. Some are
trivial [3]. Others are longer, like easytag [4] and mkvtoolnix [5]. I
have filed some reports against lintian, e.g. bug #536434, #541143, and
#541144.

> Do you participate in any team like those listed on
> http://www.debian.org/intro/organization or similar? Are you involved
> in any other Debian sub-project or related project (e.g. DebConf)?
> With which Debian Developers or contributors have you worked with so
> far?

I am member of the Debian Mozilla Extension Maintainers and belong to
Debian Multimedia Maintainers. I worked with Sandro Tosi (morph), Evgeni
Golov (evgeni), Dmitry E. Oboukhov (unera), Barry deFreese (bdefreese),
to name a few.

> Are you active on Debian mailing lists? On IRC? The Debian wiki? Any
> other communication media? Have you been to DebConf or other Debian
> events? Have you ever helped out at a booth run by Debian at fairs or
> conferences?

I am active on IRC. I am reading the Debian mailing lists, but do not
response often.

> Are you upstream author of any open source program? Which other open
> source communities are you involved in?

I am upstream author of dvdbackup, gnome-colors, and mozilla-devscripts
(third is a native package, so it may not count). I am involved in
Ubuntu and I am getting in the Eclipse community, too.

> Which role (packaging/porting/documentation/other) would you like to
> go through NM as?

Definitely packaging.

> Anything else you think we should be interested in? Maybe things you
> would like to do in the future?

No. Maybe I will touch the GNOME team / packages in the future.

   Google says:
   Well, everything was written above. Maybe one more thing: AFAIK he
   has the shortest boot record with Ubuntu 10.04 , only 3.65 secs[6].

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Benjamin has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and
   procedures and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. He committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

   respective maintainers and he is a DM).
   All packages are in good shape.
   He also answered my other questions regarding T&S without problems
   and provided patches for RC bugs including my private problems with
   Eclipse packaging.

   I recommend to accept Benjamin as a Debian Developer.

Regards,
Laszlo/GCS
[1] http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=bdrung@ubuntu.com
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BenjaminDrung