Re: Intent to become a Debian Maintainer

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo wrote:
> <URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer>.
>
> I have read the Social Contract, Debian Free Software Guidelines
> and Debian Machine Usage Policy and agree with all of them.
>
> Currently I co‐maintain the package: - openscenegraph (the
> maintainer is Loic Dachary)
>
> and I intend to maintain the packages (unattended by current
> maintainer): - aqsis (two uploads already sponsored by Loic
> Dachary) - k3d (almost ready to upload by Loic Dachary)
>
> My GnuPG key 0xFBE74E9A is signed by the Debian Developer: -
> Santiago Garcia Mantinan <manty@debian.org>, key id 0xF6A32A8E.
>
> I look forward to becoming a Debian Maintainer. Thanks for your
> attention.

Hello,

I am Loic Dachary and I've already advocated Manuel A. Fernandez
Montecelo in his application as Debian Developer, so I'm doing the same
for his application as Debian maintainer, with a bit more information
about his contributions in the past few weeks.

Contribution:
The applicant saw my RFH open for OpenSceneGraph and offered to help
(about 6 months ago), initially I advised him to start helping Debian
with simpler packages, however he persevered and produced an initial
release of a new upstream version fairly quickly after his initial
contact (and 3 or 4 since that in subsequent releases).

He did many things, and more importantly, all in the right direction,
requiring few corrections os help from me: revisiting patches and
dropping some, opening bugs upstream, improving debian specific stuff
(writing more accurate descriptions, standards versions, debhelper
compatibility, watch file, quelling lintian warnings), fixing nuisances
with man pages, and closing several bugs in the process.  He also
created a new binary package to alleviate the load on servers with arch-
independent data, and removed a package of documentation which was left
empty some versions ago.

Interaction:
We (the applicant and myself), along with Alberto Luaces, collaborate
effectively to discuss problems coming from upstream with SOVERSIONS,
how to best fix the issues raised by bug reports or problems in some
architectures of buildd, etc.; and the last versions of OSG were created
by Alberto Luaces also based partly on the job of the applicant (and
with hints from him).  We discuss the problems or bugs reported on a
regular basis.

Sponsoring Aqsis and K3D packages:
He told me about his interest in becoming a Debian Developer in order
to, apart from continuing improving OpenSceneGraph, update another
packages very outdated with which he has experience (the upstream
project).  I'm sponsoring uploads from him for these packages; I'll be
sponsoring him for that too if he doesn't manage to get permissions to
do so before next freeze.

The quality of his packages is as good as OpenSceneGraph, and
I'm aware that he's putting extra effort with these ones because they
were neglected by the maintainer for a long time.  He's working to
convince
upstream to use SONAMEs properly, provide manpages or updates to
manpages, discusses legal issues in debian-legal@l.d.o for the Aqsis
packages, etc.

Conclusion:
The tasks that he undertakes is difficult because the software is
complex and he faces non trivial licensing issues in some cases.  I
never found
serious problems in his packages, and he often looks into them before
anyone else does (lintian warnings, etc) or the users start to file
bugs.

So I support Manuel' application to become a Debian Maintainer, so he
can help me to co-maintain OpenSceneGraph; I'm confident his ability
to upload packages without further oversight from my part.  The same
goes for his packages of Aqsis and K3D, so he can upload them without
need of sponsoring.

Cheers.

begin:vcard
fn:Loic Dachary