Re: Advocating Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au>

Hi,

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach NM Front Desk <recommend@nm.debian.org> [2010.02.13.1953 +1300]:
> > Auth-Key: nmauthde50a65f6ca12de6b8be4b805e989f6a
> > Applicant: Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au>
> >
> > Why do you advocate this person? (please provide a 5-10 line summary).
>
> I actually thought Ben was a DD already. He's very active on lists,
> and he's been around for years. I have uploaded one package of his
> (bugs-everywhere), which was top quality. While that would normally
> not be enough, I have statements available from 7 other DDs[0] who
> have sponsored Ben previously, and who have reached the same
> conclusion: he knows what he's doing, his packages are of good
> quality, and it would be good to have him be a DD.

I'm not sure I agree with this. He has been active on the lists for sure
but not always for the best in my memory. I seem to remember a tendency
to have very strong & bold opinion when it comes to DFSG freenees and
license questions. In those cases, he tends to participate too much in the
thread.

I certainly fear that he would be more aggressive imposing his opinion on
this topic once he's DD.

Concerning his technical skills, he certainly tries to do the best and to
avoid mistakes but I saw him ask questions that I would have expected him
to know at this point if he's supposed to be DD (-python related mainly).
I think he's fine as DM currently in that regard.

In the end, I think it comes down that he contributes more by replying to
emails than doing real stuff on which he can be judged. Maybe I would have
said nothing if he was less verbose on lists.

Cheers,

PS: And he complains when he's CCed on lists. :-)
--
Raphaël Hertzog