Re: Why 0 new developer? (Re: NM Report for Week Ending 15 Mar 2009)

On 17/03/09 at 21:22 +0900, Hideki Yamane wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Just a question.
>  # I'm not familiar with NM process now.
>
> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 23:56:02 -0600
> NM Front Desk <new-maintainer@debian.org> wrote:
> > Weekly Summary Statistics
> > =========================
> > 2 more people applied to become a new maintainer
> > 0 applicants became maintainers.
>
>  Why any people cannot become a new Debian Developer in these days?
>  What is the bottleneck for that, or there is any reason?
>  We needs more and more developers, I think.
>
>  # but I don't want to blame someone. Just want to know why and how to solve it.

Check https://nm.debian.org/nmlist.php:

39 applicants are currently waiting for an application manager. To help
those, new AMs need to be recruited amongst the DDs, or existing AMs
need to take more applications.

71 applicants are currently being processed, which can be split in three
groups (but we can't determine who is in which group without asking the
applicant and the AM):
- applicants/AM couples for which everything is fine, and progressing
  (slowly or not).
- applicants who have an inactive or slowly responding AM.
- AM who have an inactive or a slowly responding applicants.

4 applicants are waiting for Front Desk approval.
14 applicants are waiting for DAM approval.
In both case, we already have a team of people reviewing applicants. But
those reviews tend to be done in (large) batches, which is sometimes a
bit hard to deal with for the applicants who are waiting to make
progress.

There are nice graphs monitoring all those numbers at
http://molly.corsac.net/~corsac/debian/nm/