Re: DM application for Martin-Éric Racine

Hi,

> > > This should be the job by the packages sponsor, who actualy made
> > > reviews of his uploads. So I think he is the first person in
> > > {not} advocating him.
> >
> > It indeed is my sponsor's call and, as it turns out, Martin Pitt
> > already stated that he is satisfied with the quality of my
> > packages and that he considers the often-mentioned CUPS-PDF bug to
> > be an isolated occurence that does not affect the overall quality
> > of my work. Previously, Masayuki Hatta, who was also my AM, has
> > stated the same.

> Now that's a recommendation.  You mean the guy dealing with:

>   - http://packages.qa.debian.org/i/insight.html
>   - http://packages.qa.debian.org/e/enchant.html
>     or even
>   - http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/ptex-bin.html

> and didn't care to either orphan his packages or seek co-maintenance
> AFAICT, but still disappeared without a word since august
> 2008. Yeah, Hell of a recommandation for sure.

Well, my real-world workload in the second half of last year was much
heavier than I've expected, so I only recently returned to the Debian
development front.  It's true that I didn't orphan my packages, but I
set LowThresholdNmu(http://wiki.debian.org/LowThresholdNmu) even
before my involuntary fading-out and clearly stated that I would
welcome co-maintainers(and after all, I'm back now).  Actually, I've
been seeking new maintainers or co-maintainers privately, to no avail.
I'm not sure why you are so excited, Pierre, but anyway I'd like to
apologize.

Anywise, it's okay to criticize me for my laziness or whatever, but it
should not be connected with Martin-Eric's reputation in any way.  If
you don't believe my words, then believe what Martin Pitt said.
AFAIK, Martin-Eric is a long term, avid contributor to Debian worthy
of DD or DM, and I was quite happy to work with him as his sponsor or
AM.

BTW, I always wonder why some of you(yeah, really "some of you", I
think that's kinda fixed members) are really picky and harsh on
Martin-Eric -- are you guys having personal emotional conflict or such
with him?  I find sometimes he is excessively argumentative, but
that's an old bad habit most of us DD share, unfortunately.  Yet, his
handling of bug reports are not really aggressive or unfriendly, at
least compared with other average DDs.

Best regards,
MH

--
Masayuki Hatta
Graduate School of Economics, The University of Tokyo