Re: Debian Maintainer Application

Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> writes:

> I co-maintain some packages in Debian (shishi and gss) and would like to
> apply as debian maintainer so that I can help upload packages to solve
> bugs in the BTS faster.  I'm the upstream author/maintainer for a couple
> of other packages (gsasl, libidn, gnutls, libntlm, etc) as well and try
> to help with debian issues concerning those packages too.
>
> I acknowledge and agree with the Debian social contract, free software
> guidelines, and machine usage policies.

I advocate Simon as a Debian Maintainer.  He developed the packaging for
both shishi and gss and I've been reviewing and uploading his work for
some time.  He's been repsonsive as a maintainer (more so in some cases
than I've been able to be as an uploader) and willing to dig into tricky
packaging problems.  He's also the upstream maintainer of several
libraries and understands shared libraries, symbol versioning, and ABI
issues, a skill set that I think is very valuable for Debian.

I think Simon is a good example of the sort of contributor that the DM
system is good for: someone who is upstream for multiple Debian packages,
wants to be more involved in Debian and wants to be able to upload his own
packages, understands Debian packaging, but for one reason or another
isn't sure he wants to make a committment to becoming a full member of the
project.