AM report for Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>

Report for new developer applicant Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>:

Identification
--------------
   Peter's key (KeyID 1024D/554FB4C6) has been signed by several Debian
   developers (Michael Meskes, Andreas Tille, Alexander Wirt, Noèl Köthe,
   Andreas Mueller):

   pub  1024D/554FB4C6 2003-07-18 Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>
   sig!3       554FB4C6 2004-03-10   Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>
   uid                            Peter Eisentraut <petere@postgresql.org>
   sig!3       C09FD35A 2004-03-18   Andreas Tille <tille@debian.org>
   sig!3       307D56ED 2004-03-23   Noèl Köthe <noel@debian.org>
   sig!3       BC7D020A 2004-04-01   Alexander Wirt <formorer@debian.org>
   sig!3       554FB4C6 2004-03-10   Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>
   uid                            Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@credativ.de>
   sig!3       74E0B766 2003-07-18   Andreas Mueller <amu@debian.org>
   sig!3       29F19BD1 2003-07-22   Michael Meskes <michael@fam-meskes.de>
   sig!3       C09FD35A 2004-03-18   Andreas Tille <tille@debian.org>
   sig!3       554FB4C6 2003-07-18   Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>
   sig!3       554FB4C6 2004-03-10   Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>
   sig!3       BC7D020A 2004-04-01   Alexander Wirt <formorer@debian.org>
   sig!3       307D56ED 2004-03-23   Noèl Köthe <noel@debian.org>
   uid                            Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@credativ.de>
   sig!3       74E0B766 2003-07-18   Andreas Mueller <amu@debian.org>
   sig!3       29F19BD1 2003-07-22   Michael Meskes <michael@fam-meskes.de>
   sig!3       C09FD35A 2004-03-18   Andreas Tille <tille@debian.org>
   sig!3       307D56ED 2004-03-23   Noèl Köthe <noel@debian.org>
   sig!3       BC7D020A 2004-04-01   Alexander Wirt <formorer@debian.org>
   sig!3       554FB4C6 2003-07-18   Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>
   sig!3       554FB4C6 2004-03-10   Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>
   sub  2048g/D5B8A0B1 2003-07-18
   sig!        554FB4C6 2003-07-18   Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>

Background
----------
   Peter writes:

   My involvement in free software started in 1999 when I worked as a
   software developer and database administrator for an ISP who was
   basing its entire IT infrastructure on "Linux".  I had to scratch
   the proverbial itch several times and stuck around the PostgreSQL
   development team ever since.  From there work branched off into
   several other projects, such as GNU Autoconf, GNU Libtool, and the
   DocBook DSSSL stylesheets.  From the very beginning a large part of
   my work was in build systems, configuration interfaces, general
   user-friendliness, documentation, later also internationalization
   work.  Therefore I worked a lot with packagers and got to know
   various operating system philosophies.

   I started using Debian more extensively about a year ago, both
   personally and at work.  After a period of (BTS-)bugging people I
   am now attempting to be more constructive by maintaining a few
   packages that I was missing or that need help.  I am also trying to
   raise awareness outside of Debian about issues such as free Java or
   bogus handcrafted licenses.

   I use free software because it allows me and my customers to keep
   control over their computer, it fosters cooperation and learning,
   and ultimately leads to better systems.  Debian is the most viable
   project that provides me with a fully free operating system and an
   open community.

   During the day hours I work for credativ GmbH, whom you know as a
   Debian Development Partner.  Additionally, I work towards a
   Master's degree in Software Systems Engineering at RWTH Aachen.

Philosophy and Procedures
-------------------------
   Peter has a good understanding of Debians Philosophy and
   Procedures. He answered all my questions about Social Contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. without problems and has a decent understanding of
   software license issues.

Tasks and Skills
----------------
   Peter answered my T&S questions and solved practical exercises
   (fixing RC bug, NMU'ing it, writing some scripts, fixing a
   hypothetical package) in a very good way.

   He has done Debian-related work for quite a while now and already
   gained much experience. He maintains the following packages:
   dirmngr, egroupware, licq, pinentry, postgresql-plruby,
   sgml-spell-checker, and rhdb-explain.

Recommendation
   I recommend to accept him as a Debian Developer.

--
Martin Pitt                 Debian GNU/Linux Developer
martin@piware.de                      mpitt@debian.org