AM Summary for David I. Lehn <dlehn@lehn.org>

Summary for David I. Lehn <dlehn@lehn.org>:
I highly recommend that David be accepted as a Debian maintainer (see
below).

Identification & Background
--------

David's GPG key is signed by Matt Taggart <taggart@debian.org>:

pub  1024D/1A3B48DE 2001-01-18 David I. Lehn <dlehn@lehn.org>
sig!        EA291785 2001-07-28   Matt Taggart <taggart@debian.org>
sig!3       1A3B48DE 2001-01-18   David I. Lehn <dlehn@lehn.org>
sig!3       1A3B48DE 2001-08-06   David I. Lehn <dlehn@lehn.org>
uid                            David I. Lehn <dlehn@vt.edu>
sig!        EA291785 2001-07-28   Matt Taggart <taggart@debian.org>
sig!3       1A3B48DE 2001-01-18   David I. Lehn <dlehn@lehn.org>
sub  1024g/89DF55E8 2001-01-18
sig!        1A3B48DE 2001-01-18   David I. Lehn <dlehn@lehn.org>

David's writeup of his background is excellent, so I quote it here in
full:

> You can find some various stuff, research papers, resume, etc on my home
> page: http://crib.lehn.org:8080/~dlehn/home/
>
> General:  27.  I'm attempting to get a computer engineering PhD from
> Virginia Tech in sunny Blacksburg, VA, USA.  I had a brief escape to the
> real world for some work but otherwise have been here at vt.edu for the
> last 9 years earning a BS and MS in computer engineering.
>
> Computers:  My first use of Linux was trying out one of the very early
> (0.02?) releases that just ran on 2 floppies.  Didn't really use it for
> anything but playing around for another year or so.  I used some of the
> early Linux distributions to try and escape MS Windoze hell.  But then I
> got sucked into NeXTStep for a few years on my desktop.  (And I still
> miss it...)  One of my first "OpenSource" contributions before the
> current surge of activity was contributions to MiscKit, a collection of
> useful NeXTStep widgets and objects.  I've been running Linux full time
> with Debian on servers at home for around 7 years.  I went to the first
> ALS (back when it was in Atlanta, GA, got a dorky picture taken with
> Linus there), one of the early LWEs in NY, and the last three OLSs.
>
> Software: I have made minor contributions via small patches and
> suggestions to various software over the years.  In the past few years
> my main focus has been on multimedia and DVD related things.  I have
> been fairly active contributing to early mpeg2dec, ac3/a52dec, (the now
> defunct) OMS, and lately GStreamer.  All this has been under DFSG
> licenses.  As with most software hackers I've got a ton of side projects
> waiting for my time.  All will be written with DFSG licenses.
> Software's too hard to get it right by yourself.  Seems most opensource
> projects are mainly headed by a few motivated individuals but it's good
> to keep code in the open so perhaps others will contribute.
>
> Debian: I've been using Debian for around 7 years.  It's setup,
> upgradability, ease of use (for long time users at least), and project
> management/government fits with my views on software.  I've made
> attempts to convert various people and groups to Debian and have had
> some success.  I feel I should contribute back directly to the community
> who's work I've been using for so long.  I've got the experience and
> time to, at a minimum, maintain a handful of packages.  Hopefully
> package maintainership will encourage me to contribute to Debian in
> other ways.

Philosophy & Procedures
-----------------------

David displays an excellent understanding of the philosophy and
procedures that comprise Debian.  Gergely (David's previous AM) gave
David a set of questions that were comprehensive and fairly difficult,
and David was able to answer them quite satisfactorily.  Gergely had a
few clarifications to ask on followup, but nothing at all major.  David
was able to satisfy Gergely with the responses.

Tasks & Skills
--------------

David has been maintaining both GStreamer and mpeg2dec in Debian for
some time now.  GStreamer is a large, complex package, with dependencies
on many others (and correspondingly complex Build-Depends, etc), and
David's ability to maintain it is testament to his skill as a Debian
maintainer.  Besides this, he has been an active member of the
community, submitting patches for several bugs, and providing useful
commentary and suggestions elsewhere.

I found his responses to my T&S questions to be as good as his answers
to the P&P questions; i.e. excellent.

Recommendation

I highly recommend that David be accepted as a Debian maintainer.  I
think he exemplifies the qualities we should want in Debian maintainers.

Debian Login: dlehn
Forwarding email: dlehn@vt.edu