Questions on video related multimedia standards

Hi,

I have a few questions on video standards.

1. We do have some kind of standard for video, called video4linux2, is
  that correct ?  I gathered that it has some interface for
  configuring TV input and tuner I/O, and some standard on /dev/video
  devices.

2. Do we have any video codec standards ? Where they are put, what
   kind of interfaces they provide. Or are they independent of the
   encoder/decoder?  (ffmpeg?)

I've kind of dumped those questions on the wiki[1]. Answers/helps would be appreciated.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia

regards,
	junichi
--