Re: New packages I'm planning to work on

On 3/5/06, Free Ekanayaka <free@miu-ft.org> wrote:
> |--==> Dana Olson writes:
>
>   DO> Qsampler (based on the included debian/ dir from the source)
>
> The included debian/ dir should work fine, but just FYI:
>
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/q/qsampler/
> http://archive.64studio.com/pool/main/q/qsampler/

I looked at your Mentors one. It has a huge diff (the
config.sub/config.guess files needn't be there). Also, the Ubuntu guys
are very strict with things like debian/copyright and debian/rules,
the version of debhelper, the debian/compat file, README.Debian, etc.
So I had to do what they wanted, and could not just grab the one that
you did. Also, your .orig.tar.gz is modified, which is why I couldn't
just modify your work, and did it from scratch.

If qsampler was actually in Debian, I would've just requested a sync,
but it isn't yet (not sure why).

>   DO> Unless Free says otherwise, I won't work on gmorgan (Free has an ITP
>   DO> #338691, which I based my Dapper package on, although I had to change
>   DO> a bunch of stuff to get it accepted).
>
> If you wish to maintain it for Debian as well, it's fine  for me. As a
> general rule I think we should try to  maintain everything directly in
> Debian,   and let derived  distributions   (as Ubuntu) pull  in things
> without the need of patching them (whenever possible).

I agree, but I don't run Debian (aside from on my server) so I got
involved with Ubuntu, and considering I only started on Feb. 10th,
there was no time to waste if I wanted Dapper to ship with anything
new, considering the cutoff date was the 23rd. I don't think it would
have been enough time to filter out of Debian and into Ubuntu in 13
days.

But I do agree, and I am here now, and any efforts I make will go into
Debian first, I hope. I have to learn on what the processes are, as I
understand that Debian has no such thing as REVU, but rather use email
for communication, and various methods for package collaboration, such
as SVN... So I have to learn something new now, which will take time,
but I will do it.

Dana