Re: Debian policy on multimedia ?

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 14:17:35 +0100, Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> wrote:

I'm currently trying to do a write up for my local LUG on
multimedia application in Debian, and stumbled upon this question:
Is there currently a document that describes what should happen with
debian multimedia packages?

There are quite a few things that have inter-working functionalities.

I know I have documented something in
/usr/share/doc/ladspa-sdk/README.Debian, but there are other
stuff, such as JACK, and LADCCA, and others.

 It would be really nice if all those inter-dependent infrastructure
packages could work without manual intervention, as soon as the
packages that required them caused them to be installed (through
dependancies).

 I.e. if there are commonly accepted environment variables that
point to plugin directories, there should be a commonly accepted
place to set them, upon installation.  Applications that utilise
those resources should be patched, if needed, to read the
appropriate environment variables, query the /proc system or read
whatever config files the common policy has mandated.

 This is merely a wishlist from me, as I don't know much about
Debian policies.

--
Herman Robak