Re: Installing Debian on a Qube 1

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 06:13:45AM +0100, Martin B?hr wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 04:47:15AM +0000, Christoph Pfisterer wrote:
> > I'm afraid I have to report the same results as Jim. CoLo loads the
> > kernel, then the machine hangs displaying "Loading Debian".
> > [ ... ]
> > Anyway, does anybody have hints what could be in the kernel that causes
> > it to hang?
>
> has anyone made any progress in this area?
>
> i managed to set up colo to allow me to choose between the original
> cobalt system that i have on hda1 and martins debian tarball which i
> have extracted on hda4.
> the kernel loads and then hangs.
>
> any suggestions what else to try?
> alternatively, what source is there to build a kernel myself? (assuming i
> manage to get a build environment working (the disk is not exactly large))

You could try 2.6.9 (see http://www.colonel-panic.org/cobalt-mips) and
enable "netconsole" (CONFIG_NETCONSOLE). If the kernel doesn't hang too
early you might catch something ...

You'll need something like the following in your CoLo script

	exec root=/dev/hda4 netconsole=@<Qube IP>/,@<logging host IP>/

and then run

	netcat -u -l -p 6666

on your logging host.