Re: boot-floppies!

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 07:54:33PM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 02:50:20AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > So, could someone please get alpha, ia64, hppa, mips and/or mipsel
> > boot-floppies into some semblance of functionality, and upload them
> > to unstable?
> Mips and mipsel are very complicated - We need very special kernels
> and there is no "unified" kernel for all the subarchs - Decstation, Lasat,
> SGI Indy etc. - The Lasat machines dont even have a way to install them.
> One can only put a "base-root" on the disk and put it in again. Another
> way is a proprietary image maker where you afterwards upload the image
> with a proprietary tool to the machine.

That's okay. Different kernels should be able to be handled via flavours
already; and if you can't install on some subarchs, that's just the way
things are. If you only get support for one subarch for each of mips
and mipsel (which was what Ryan was saying at one point) that's fine too,
as far as I'm concerned.

Just upload what you've got.

Cheers,
aj