Re: Please sponsor fio (flexible I/O tester)

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 07:18:40PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Montag, 25. Juni 2012, 19:08:34 schrieb Sven Hoexter:

Hi,

> > debian/copyright:
> > -Source: http://brick.kernel.dk/snaps/fio-1.32.tar.gz
> > +Source: http://brick.kernel.dk/snaps/
>
> Shouldn´t this field show what has been used for initial packaging?

I'd find that pretty useless, or at least I don't see a value in such
historic information. And we've a VCS to keep historic information of a package.

http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/#source-field
points at
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs#s-copyrightfile
and that gives us
"In addition, the copyright file must say where the upstream sources (if any) were obtained, .."

Often it might feel a bit like a duplication of the homepage field in debian/control but
especially in this case those two have very different content. One can of course deduce
the right place to look at with the current value, but I don't think it's that useful
The webserver even provides a directory listing with the full array of tarballs.

Sven