Re: RFS: ipset

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
<hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012, Nikolai Lusan wrote:

>> I guess the major issue at this point would be the kernel that will ship
>> with the next release, if it is set to be a 3.0 or newer kernel then it
>> shouldn't be an issue (similar to things like iptables itself or tools
>> like vlan).
>
> For the next Debian stable (wheezy) it will be either 3.2 or an even newer
> kernel than that.

Given Greg K-H's blog post "Stable kernel tree status, January 9,
2012" (http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/stable-status-01-2012.html)
where he writes:

    Here's the different active kernel versions that I am maintaining
at the moment: [...]

        3.0.y - this is the new "longterm" kernel release, it will be
maintained for 2 years at the minimum by me.

wouldn't it be more reasonable to use 3.0.y as the next Debian stable
release's kernel?

I mean, sure, if many of the other major Linux distributions, the ones
which can be considered as peers to Debian in terms of importance,
collectively decide to use a different, later kernel version for their
next stable release, it would make sense to use that kernel for
Debian's next stable release of course, since it allows the effort of
maintaining the kernel to be shared between distributions (at least to
some extent).  But, failing that, why not use the one that has the
imprimatur of the existing defacto stable kernel maintainer?

Hope this is of some use, interest.  Thanks for your time.  Be well.

Joseph