Re: proposed new pseudo-package 'debian-mentors' for handling sponsoring requests

[ please Cc:-me on replies if you want to get my attention, I'm not
  subscribed to -mentors ]

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 15:26:49 +0100, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> Second concern i have here is that (AFAIK) everyone can upload
> everything to mentors.debian.net. Which would mean we then would/could
> distribute non-distribiteable material under the debian.org
> domain. How can this issue be resolved?

I've sought legal advice for a similar issue ~6 months ago, on behalf of
ftp-masters to study the feasibility of so called PPA (for "Personal
Package Archive") in Debian. I've briefly reported back then [1] that it
can be done even without a "NEW queue"-like bottleneck. To that end, a
couple of conditions shall be met:

a) we have a well-advertised contact point that copyright owners can
   email to request take down of (allegedly) unauthorizedly distributed
   content + someone behind it that react quickly (as in: a couple of
   days) if/when needed

b) the [ mentors.d.o ] service is opt-in, and uploaders must accept some
   "terms of use" before getting access to it. The terms essentially say
   uploaders take responsibility for the content they're uploading

The above is in the context of US copyright law.  The "feature" of DMCA
the two conditions exploit is the so called "safe harbor", already
mentioned by Michael van der Kolff in this thread [2].

To make it real, however, we should write proper terms of use and
preferably have SPI lawyers review them. As we're going to need a very
similar version of it for PPA, getting one for mentors.d.o won't be a
big deal.

Would this be enough to settle the second concern of yours?
If so, I'll be happy to look into this with SPI lawyers.

Let me know,
Cheers.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/06/msg00000.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2012/01/msg00508.html