Re: Packaging proprietary software

Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@ubuntu.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Savvas Radevic <vicedar@gmail.com> wrote:

> > P.S. I believe that Debian supports and helps with packaging open
> > source software, not closed source and proprietary software.
>
> And thus spake the wiki:
>
> debian-mentors is for the mentoring of new and prospective debian
> developers. Almost any question relating to Debian development is
> potentially on-topic for d-mentors.

Debian is a free software operating system. Any non-free software is
thereby not a contribution to Debian, no matter how useful it is to some
users of Debian.

So if you want to package non-free software, while we are unlikely to
actively hamper you, you are likewise not going to get as much help from
people who want to mentor contributors to Debian, which is a
free-software operating system.

--
 \     Rommel: “Don't move, or I'll turn the key on this can of Spam!” |
  `\                               —The Goon Show, _Rommel's Treasure_ |