Re: proposed new pseudo-package 'debian-mentors' for handling sponsoring requests

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 7:43 AM, Arno Töll wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 18.01.2012 08:40, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>> Dear DSA, do you think it's possible to have a CNAME mentors.debian.org
>> pointing to mentors.debian.net? It's currently not hosted on a .d.o
>> machine but AIUI the mentors.debian.net admins are interested to move it
>> to DSA-managed host at some point.
>
> as a maintainer of mentors.d.n I can confirm our interest to make
> mentors an official Debian service at some point. However, we are not in
> a hurry to do so immediately and I believe that's something which needs
> consensus among developers before we can seriously consider that.

What consensus (and from whom) is required here?  If I interpret
things correctly, the DSA team [0] is the group that need to make the
call.  So lets start that discussion with them (well its already
started with the CC's).

> Moreover, we're lacking Debian Developers interested to join our team
> which is sort of a prerequisite to integrate a team into Debian's
> organizational structure.

I am not a DD quite yet, but I'm finishing the NM process right now,
and as soon as I'm done, I will be very happy to join this team.  I
would hope there are quite a few other existing DDs willing to be
officially part of the team as well.  Is there a list of the current
official members?  Perhaps we send a message to -devel looking for
additional volunteers?  For now, who on this list would want to be a
part of the official team?

Anyway, I think if we can get people behind this, we would want to
make it happen quickly, then the mentors.debian.org psuedo-package
would be available, and we could straightforwardly implement the
bug-based RFP process.

As a small aside on the matter of naming, I would like to again try to
suggest a more empowering term like "contributors" instead of
"mentors".  Going through this officialization process is an
opportunity to rethink the message conveyed by the site name (since
the domain name is changing anyway).  The term "contributor" conveys a
much more welcoming message as it says "this is the place where I can
go to learn about start making contributions to debian", and "this is
where we can go to help people become contributors".  The "mentors"
term far too heavily sways the discussion toward the needs/demands of
the mentor.  Anyway, a major danger of bike-shedding here, but words
do have significant meaning, and we should put the critical thought in
to getting it right.

Best wishes,
Mike