start mysqld from debian/rules?

Hi everybody,

I am working on the packaging of ruby-dataobjects-mysql, a ruby library
offering a unified interface to database systems (here mysql). A best
practice instaured in the Ruby Extras Team is to run the test suite at
build time to ensure that it will work with the versions of the Ruby
interpreter supported by Debian.

For the test suite to run for this package, an instance of the mysqld
server needs to be started. Installing mysql-server-5.1 as a
build-dependency does not start the daemon in a pbuilder chroot, because
of policy-rc.d

I was wondering what would be the best way to start (and possibly stop)
the mysql server from the debian/rules makefile. Could anyone help me on
this?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

	Cédric