Re: Control file Vcs fields

Tony Houghton <h@realh.co.uk> writes:

> I'm a bit confused about the Vcs fields in Control files. Many projects
> have the upstream code and debian packaging maintained separately and
> I'm not entirely sure what you're supposed to do with the Vcs fields in
> that case. Should they point to upstream or the packaging? How can
> tools, such as debcheckout, work properly if they can only fetch the
> packaging or upstream code, but not both?

They should point to the packaging. debcheckout will check that out, and
if that's not a buildable tree, then debian/README.source MUST describe
how to build the package from that checkout.

See 6.2.5[1] of the Developer's reference for more information.

 [1]: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-vcs