Re: dh --parallel (was: Re: RFS: lebiniou)

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 12:02:04 +0200
Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 12:31:06PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > You might want to use dh --parallel.
>
> I really wonder why it's not debhelper's default.  I understand, it
> can break old packages with buggy makefiles, but it'd be nice to have
> --parallel both in the examples and as compat 9 default.
>
> These days you can't get 1-way regular machines without looking deep,
> and even phones get more cores.  Having package builds utilize only a
> small part of the machine is pretty ridiculous.

I agree, but there's another big problem: autoconf. It runs far more
tests than most projects need (especially when using glib which takes
care of a large range of compatibility issues for you), and each run
takes longer than the actual compilation with a modest 4 core CPU. When
building roxterm I think I have to run configure 4 times: before making
a tarball with make dist, at the start of debuild before it can make
clean, then once for each version of gtk. On top of all that you often
have to run bootstrap.sh first.