Re: Modified tarballs [was: Re: RFS: minidlna (updated package and FTBFS fix)]

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Sven Hoexter <sven@timegate.de> wrote:

> We do it all the time. Just 'dpkg -l|grep dfsg' on your local system
> and you should find plenty of those modified source tarballs.
>
> What I, as an uploader, do in such cases is a diff between the upstream
> provided tarball and what's in the dfsg orig.tar.gz. You can get a
> rough overview with diffstat and then review suspicious additions in
> more detail.

Best practice for modified tarballs is to write a debian/rules
get-orig-source target that downloads the upstream tarball and removes
anything that needs to be removed. IIRC this is documented either in
policy or devref.

--
bye,
pabs